Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Check It Out: New music from Justin Timberlake

Like any girl who grew up listening to boy bands in the early 2000s, I am a huge fan of Justin Timberlake.  As I grew out of NSYNC, I flocked to Timberlake's solo material.  2002's Justified was good but 2006's FutureSex/LoveSounds was even better.

Now, 6 years later, he released a song called "Suit & Tie (featuring Jay-Z)." And I must say, I am a bit afraid that this new album will mark the end of my Justin Timberlake love (musically).  The new song predominately dark beats at the end.  The verse comes with those smooth JT vocals.  The main theme of the song is essentially is "suiting up" to pick up girls at the club.   He emulates Michael Jackson's vocal style.  Jay-Z comes in and does his typical rapping thing over Timberlake's "oohhs" and "ahhs."

The thing that I loved about Timberlake was his crossover appeal.  As someone who listens to indie and alt rock (almost) exclusively, I appreciate his catchy melodies, smooth beats and soulful voice. I sang along to "Senorita" and watched the video for "Cry Me a River," hating Britney Spears of what she did to poor innocent JT.  Songs like "Sexyback," "LoveStoned/I Think She Knows" and "What Goes Around..." really appealed to my interest in a catchy and sexy song with both a mainstream and independent vibe.  I just don't think this new song fits into the Timberlake I love.

Only time will tell. The new album is slated to come out sometime this year.  But for now, let's enjoy an old school Timberlake video for "What Goes Around.."




No comments:

Post a Comment